Sunday, February 22, 2009

Inspire Me


I'm sitting on my couch watching the Oscars, and I just realized how much I heart Hugh Jackman. (Also, cutting to a shot of Angelina laughing while Jen Aniston presents was very clever camera man, come on!). Anyways, they just presented the awards for best original and adapted screenplay. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of seeing either of the winners (Milk and Slumdog Millionaire), however it got me thinking about the skill and creativity needed for such an undertaking. I'd love to find out more about the process of reworking a novel into a movie script, how they decide what to keep and what to take. Writing an original screenplay is a project that I might be taking on soon, crazy I know. Back in November I signed up for National Novel Writing Month and wrote a 50,000 word "novel" in a month. I have only been able to bring myself to read 15 pages of this effort...it needs quite a bit of work, to say the least.

I didn't find out about NaNoWrMo until the the day before it started, so I had to come up with an idea from scratch and plot it out in a day. That could be part of the reason why it was so difficult trying to write 3 pages a day while still developing the plot. Anyways, I am planning on participating in Script Frenzy and attempting to write a 100 page screenplay in a month. I have more than a month (and much more than a day) to come up with a decent plot, so I want to think of something spectacular! Coming up with the last one was hard enough, my brainstorming seems to be lacking. Where do you go for inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment