Monday, March 23, 2009

Reflections from Chile


I know this blog has strayed away from books and book news lately, but I've been distracted by lots of things going on. Maybe its the warmer weather coming, but I haven't had lots of time to devote to reading books. However, I still am an avid blog reader. One of my best friends is currently living and working in Chile and chronicling her adventures in her own blog. She recently wrote a post on her likes and dislikes about Chile and part of it really struck me and I'd like to share:

I love the people. I think I'm mostly too scared to live in a place like New York or DC because people are so busy and scary. Down here, even though I'm living in a HUGE city, I feel like everyone is hospitable. I'm not afraid to ask someone for directions if I'm confused, and people are always willing to help. They also share a lot more than we do in the States. I don't miss our individualistic nature at all...I think it has led to too many problems and loneliness in our country. The 'American Dream,' while it's intention may be good, it sometimes leaves people behind because it's all about what each person can accomplish and obtain for his or herself or his or her own family. I want to be successful in what I do in life, but I want to share it with others and not feel like I have to beat out or compete with someone else. Biological and immediate families are very supportive of one another (for the most part) in the U.S., but what about our ENTIRE family...friends, acquaintances, co-workers, strangers, the poor, neighbors, etc...?

Miss you mi amiga! You are part of my family :)

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't talked to our Chilean friend in awhile and your post inspired me to catch up on her blog and email her! She's done so many awesome things.

    ReplyDelete