Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Heart of Life

I apologize in advance to any of my male readers, as this may be TMI. But hell, this is my blog...read on at your own risk. Once a month, ladies receive a lovely gift from mother nature. During this time period, their bodies go through hell - interaction with other humans should cease during this time period that can be likened to an emotional roller coaster. After years and years worth of experiencing this "cycle," I've come to realize two things:

1) Just a few days before, I am like the happiest person in the world. I'd like to think I'm generally a positive person, but Sunday I was just generally on cloud nine. Sure, I was hungover as hell, had an hour of my life/sleep/lazy time snatched away from me and overanalyzing regrettable events of a drunken evening past, but all things considered, I was feeling swell. I went for a walk around the mall, the sun was out, the birds were chipping, life was good.

2) Fast forward to today - my B word side came out hardcore. I was at dinner with friends and trying with all my willpower to suck up my suckiness (yes, I used suck twice in once sentence). I made it all the way to the metro, and unfortunately couldnt make it to my metro stop before my nastiness started creeping out. My friend understood the predicament, as all good lady friends have uh, been there done that, countless times. She gave me a pat on the back, told me to go drink some wine and eat some chocolate, and I was on my way.

Now, for the past hour I've just been shitting ('scuse the lang., but it applies) around on my computer. And I've also been listening on repeat to John Mayer's The Heart of Life song, on repeat. I'm really not sure what that says about me right now. There was a time in my life when John Mayer annoyed the hell out of me. But in recent years, I've found myself quite drawn to his crazy, yet poignant melodies. In all seriousness, I think this is a beautiful song with genuinely meaningful lyrics. But for right now, this is what I'm hearing:

Pain throws your heart to the ground = Ovaries crush your stomach in angry spasms
Love turns the whole thing around = Chocolate can cure this.
No it wont all go the way it should = Sometimes, even that 5th popped advil wont do the trick
But i know the heart of life is good = oh, mother nature wins, regardless.

The fact that I just compared a John Mayer song to a menstrual cycle is making me wonder how I am possibly still single!?

My deepest apologies for this most random post. Time to OD on Midol...


No comments:

Post a Comment