Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day


Happy Earth Day! Earth Day here in the nation's capitol started off rainy, turned sunny, I think rainy again, and finally sunnier, but much cooler. It was a weird weather day, is the earth trying to tell us something? Anyways, I'd like to say that I did something to help the environment today, but other than tossing my empty wine bottle into the recycling bin after dinner, and watching some documentary on sick killer whales on PBS right now, I can't say I contributed much.

However, my roommate was telling me about an book that would fit right into the earth day theme: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver. I haven't read any of her books, but have heard great praise for them. The book is about Kingsolver and her families decision to buy only food raise in their own neighborhood or food they grew themselves. Writing about home-grown lettuce doesn't sound that intriguing, but the fact that she could read about it for pages without completely losing her mind kinda shows to me Kingsolver is a damn good writer.

My roomie even decided to stop by the farmer's market today to try and buy some locally grown produce - things that were in season for this area. Unfortunately, she could only find spinach from CA. I guess that defeats the purpose of cutting down on environmental waste by shipping it halfway across the country. Later, at Whole Foods, they had apples imported from Brazil. Oh well, at least she tried....all thanks to motivation from a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment