Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Library Blunders


My trip to the library tonight was very eventful. I knew the library closed at 9, but I figured that would give me plenty of time to get there after my gym class ended at 8 and still browse leisurely. I was just looking for a book about the publishing industry, a narrative of someone's experiences, and then a regular, just for fun book to read over the long weekend.


I was dreading trying to find a parking spot, only to find that the library has an entire parking lot! This is something to celebrate in Northern VA/DC. However, my initial happiness quickly faded when I couldn't find any of the books I wanted. It is a crime to find out that a book I really want, that is supposedly in the library, not checked out, is actually not on the shelf. After this little setback, I realized I only had about 20 minutes to find my "fun" books. But, sometimes I like to just wander through the stacks and pull out random books. But this time I was in a rush. So, after my Harry Potter series, I decided I needed to read some more "classic" literature. I ended up with:
  • John Updike's Seek My Face
  • F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise
  • Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible

Which should I start with? I tried reading Tender is the Night a year or two ago and never got through it. I cant even remember why now. Maybe I owe it to Fitzgerald to give Paradise a shot. Either way, I've got a long weekend of reading ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment