Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Only Connect

I came across this quote reading some blogs today:

"Only connect the prose and the pass and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer." 

It's from E.M. Forester's Howards End, another novel I somehow was not assigned to read in my days of English classes. But this quote makes me want to read the whole novel! From brief reviews I've read, it sounds like the book is about two families - one wealthy/business minded, the other idealistic and cultured - and their intertwined lives and events that occur as they argue over who will inherit a home called Howards End.

I still need to finish This Side of Paradise, but has anyone read Howards End? Is it any good? I wonder if judging a book by one quote is as bad as judging it by its cover? Well, it looks like I'm back to the library, this time with a mission. 

No comments:

Post a Comment