Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


Last night at my volunteer reading the theme was based around Judith Viorst's Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Remember that one? I forgot how great (and funny) that book is until we read it yesterday. Maybe I liked it so much because I had a fine day yesterday....unlike today. The day started off fine, good actually. But as I sat at work and my throat and my head started to hurt worse and worse, the day went the same way.

On top of the increasingly sick feeling, I made a dumb mistake at work that I couldn't fix. I realize we all make mistakes, but at work, I am somewhat of a perfectionist and its still bugging me. Then, when I got home, too tired to go to the gym, the dinner I attempted to make didnt turn out so great (note to self, you are not a cook, dont try to be one). Now, although not a huge hockey fan, I'm watching the Capitals lose in a must-win play off game.

But I think back to Alexandar's day, and realize mine wasn't really that bad.

It was a Terrible, Horrible, No good, Very bad day. There were lima beans for dinner, and I HATE limas. There was kissing on TV, and I HATE kissing. My bath was too hot, I got soap in my eyes, my marble went down the drain, and I had to wear my railroad-train pajamas. I hate my railroad-train pajamas. When I went to bed Nick took back the pillow he said I could keep and the Mickey Mouse night-light burned out and I bit my tongue. The cat wants to sleep with Anthony, not with me.

After each bad thing he describes, Alexendar resolves to move to Australia, because he doesn't think bad things would happen there. But at the end of the book, his Mom reminds him, and any readers having a crappy day, that everyone has Terrible, Horrible, No good, Very bad days every once in a while...even in Australia :)

1 comment:

  1. thanks for reminding me about this book, i LOVED it!!! and it really does put things in perspective, as much as i have desparately agreed with Alexander.

    ReplyDelete